My labour experience – Pregnancy

Hmmm…… Can’t believe it’s been a week since my little princess was born.   I woke up in the middle of the night having contractions, the next thing I know was that my water broke.  It felt like a warm gush of fluid coming from down below, kind of like I have wet myself.  I woke my husband up, rang maternity assessment and told them the situation.  They advised me to go in for a check up and said I just need to bring my notes with me.  Contractions were every 5 minutes lasting about 30 seconds to start off with, by the time I got to the hospital and have my check up, contractions were more frequent and painful.  Throughout the contractions I had my husband to apply counter pressure on my lower back which helped a lot.  I was told by the midwife to go for a walk around for two hours because I wasn’t ready and let gravity do it’s job.  I managed to get out of the ward, headed for the lift but contractions and pain were too intense I couldn’t make it downstairs so we returned to the ward and I lied down on the bed to rest.  Not long after I lied down, I had the urge to push, so I got him to let the midwives know.  The next thing I know is that I was ready to give birth and there wasn’t enough time to get me to delivery suite nor having gas and air, so I have given birth to my little princess having only had 3 tablets of pain killers.  The overall labour was quick for me, from when my water broke to delivering the baby took me once my little one was born we were both in tears, I had her in skin to skin and my husband cut the cord.  It was very emotional and surreal.  I was then transferred to delivery suite to get stitched up as I had a second degree tear.  After that I had a quick shower to freshen up and had a bite to eat, I was transferred to post natal ward.

Several checks need to be done at post natal ward before we can get discharged to go home. Unfortunately, baby was too sleepy to feed so I had to hand express colostrum and fed her through a syringe. By the time she was up and feeding from me, the midwife who does the post natal checks has gone home so we (including my husband) had to stay overnight.  I must say it wasn’t the comfiest stay ever but we managed!  We did our first diaper change together, trying to figure out which is the best way to do it.  Never though that the meconium was that hard to wipe, it was greenish and very sticky. We had some cotton balls but the fluffs were stuck on her bum ?. Anyway we managed to get her clean up, it might have taken us a while to do.  We got discharged the next morning once all checks were completed.  It is the most amazing feeling when our little one was born, the feeling was hard to describe but that nine months of alcohol free, back pains, mood swing etc were worth it when you have your baby in your arms. ?

Share this post:

Leave a Reply